Entire Villa Property For Sale
Entire Villa Property For Sale
Lungarno del Tempio n. 54
50121 Firenze – Italia
Tel./Fax 055 9061409
Cell. 329 9354181
USA RE/MAX Contact
HISTORICAL RESEARCH ABOUT VILLA ZINGALE, CAIANO AND LONDA
The history of Villa Zingale, in the village of Londa, 18 miles (30) km from Florence, is long and
illustrious. There were four castles in the area of Londa. They all belonged to the Conti Guidi
family and date from the XI Century. Across the valley on the plateau where Castle San
Leolino stood, Hannibal and his army stopped as they traveled toward Arezzo. Cosimio l
(Medici) became concerned that the fortress castles would be used for uprisings against
Florence, so demanded that near castles be dismantled. Some of the foundation of San Leolino
A small pencil drawing discovered in the villa, shows a recognizable sketch of the main villa
dating it from the early 1600’s. It is speculated that something stood on the site for many years
before that time. The nearby stone homes which are part of the estate date from the year 1000
and 1400 and are documented as part of the historical area of Londa. In 1617 Battista di
Francesco Strozzi sold the property to a man named Antonio Vitale dei Medici. When he died
his wife, Camilla di Domenico Passerini, inherited the villa to her family, because she had no
children. The Passerini family owned it at least 200 years
The thick arched chestnut wood front doors of the villa are original, with original hardware.
Back entrance opens to flagstone courtyard bordering the garage and wing housing the wine
vats. Stairs lead to the pool and gardens.
On the outside of the upper level of the Villa is a private garden — redesigned using the existing
stone wall as a boundary — that includes the pool and its terra cotta terrace. The storage
magazine upper level is accessible there.
The consecrated chapel at the front of Villa Zingale reveals a ceiling with bright blue background
stenciled with white grapes. A plaque on the wall commemorates the consecration of the
chapel by Pope Pius VI on June 3, 1793. The painting of St. Francis is by M. John Angel.
From the back hall you enter the kitchen, dining room and second larger stone stainNay leading
upstairs. At the top of the stairs is the Vinsanteria.
The kitchen is the real heart of the Villa! The large carved breakfronts were made to fit exactly
in the room. The beautiful pine refractory table extends to twice its length. This is where the
cooks prepared the foods using the fireplace as a real cook stove with the “burners” in the
fireplace built in. The fireplace of pietra serena is carved with the crest of the Passerini—Ri|li
The living room with original titles and beams, has portraits of owners in the 1700’s.
The spacious dining room, illuminated by a light fixture that was previously a gaslight, has floors
of hand out bricks called “mattone”. The ceilings are classic Tuscan wood beamed ceilings
typically found in villas of the 1600’s. The aristocratic people in portraits on the walls are of the
Passerini and Rilli—Orsini families. On the back of each paintings is information naming the
people, when they were born and date of death. A hand written chronological history of that
family is part of the legacy left behind. The walls in the dining room were redone by an
international decorative arts school of professional decorators from all the over the world who
created the dual color faux “tile” border around the doors to blend with the period and style of
the Villa Zingale. The thickness of the walls, floors and ceilings throughout are notably
traditional for the period of the villa.
The master bedroom has a beautiful buried wood bed and furniture. The black and whiteengraving of Cardinal Passerini is a copy of a painting by Rafaello which was in a museum in
Naples. The working fireplace adds warmth.
Off of a nearby room a door that reveals a stone circular stairway — one of two stain/vays oneither side of the villa. This is the same type of stain/vay as seen in the Palazzo Vecchio in
Upstairs is reinforced flooring in a room for the pool table. An “Archives Room” contains many
old documents, and nearby is the vin Santeria room. Bedrooms and a bath are upstairs, also.